Skip to main content

Condo Insurance

Get the protection you need for your apartment or condo.

Condo insurance provided by Strickler Insurance.

Home » Personal Insurance » Condo Insurance

Condo insurance (or condominium insurance) is a specific type of insurance. It is somewhere in between homeowners’ insurance and renters insurance. Learn more about it below or get a free insurance quote today!

What Is Condo Insurance?

Condo Insurance is a specific type of insurance designed for condominiums. There are actually two types of condo insurance master condo insurance and just condo insurance. The type of condo insurance you are looking for depends on if you are the owner of the condominiums or the owner of the interior.

Master Condo Insurance vs. Condo Insurance

A master policy is designed for the owner of the condominiums. This insurance protects the shell of the condo. Essentially everything on the exterior side of the cond is protected. Some condominiums have common areas or hallways. This can be covered depending on the policy. The general condo insurance is designed for the person renting a condo. This form of condo insurance protects everything on the interior of the condominium. 

Some condo associations will require owners to have the interior condo coverage. Since we provide both master condo insurance and interior condo insurance a lot of condominiums partner with us to ensure their condo is protected on all levels.

Interactive Graphic

Click it. Read it. Cover it.

  • Click on the hotspots.
  • Discover your risks.
  • Get the right coverage.
Betterments and Improvements
Risk Factor

Any betterments, improvements, alterations, or additions made to your condominium are subject to damage. However, it’s important to make sure they’re covered appropriately.


Be sure to obtain coverage for any betterments, improvements, alterations, and additions made to the unit. This includes, but is not limited to, kitchen cabinets, built-in wall units, wall-to-wall carpeting, wallpaper, paint, bathroom fixtures, tile and wood flooring, and more.

Personal Property
Risk Factor

Unpredictable losses can occur to your property due to burglary, fire, water damage, storm, and more.


Personal property, such as furniture, rugs, TVs, stereos, clothes, and more may be covered under your basic insurance policy. However, items like jewelry, furs, silverware, antiques, collectibles, and other valuables should likely be insured separately.

Additional Living Expenses
Risk Factor

Additional living expenses can be incurred if there is damage to your unit due to a fire, storm, or other event resulting in your need to live at a temporary residence.


Ensure you have the proper coverage in case you need to live elsewhere for a little while. Coverage usually includes hotel bills, restaurant meals, and other living expenses incurred while your residence is being repaired or rebuilt.

Personal and Family Liability
Risk Factor

You're responsible if a guest in your unit trips and falls or sustains an injury while on your property or if you cause damage to other units.


Be sure that you have coverage for claims made against you for bodily injury or property damage caused by your negligence, whether intentional or not. This might include damage to other units in the building, perhaps caused by a leaking pipe in your unit or otherwise.

Medical Expenses
Risk Factor

You're responsible if a guest is injured while on your property and you may be required to pay their medical expenses.


Ensure your insurance policy covers this risk. In the event a person is injured in your unit, he or she can submit medical bills to your insurance company. Medical expenses are usually paid without a liability claim being filed against you, with typical limits ranging from $1,000 to $5,000.

Loss Assessment
Risk Factor

If your building owner or association suffers a loss and doesn't have adequate insurance coverage of their own, they may require you to help pay for the loss via an assessment.


Consider loss assessment coverage to protect yourself in the event of an assessment caused either by a property (building) or liability loss. A range of limits may be available.

Physical Damage
Risk Factor

Physical damage can happen in many ways. As one example, suppose a fire unexpectedly breaks out in the utility closet and consumes the building causing significant damage.


Be sure your condominium owner, association, or corporation carries a comprehensive policy to cover the risk of physical damage. It’s important to know what the policy includes and what it doesn’t, which could range from covering just the shell of the building to including things like floors and walls.

What Is The Difference Between Condo Insurance & Homeowners’ Insurance?

Condo insurance is extremely similar to homeowners’ insurance. It protects your belongings, temporary living expenses and injuries sustained on your property that you can be liable for. But Condo insurance does not protect the exterior of your condominium. Any damages that occur outside of your home are not covered. It is designed to protect the area you own within the condominium.

What Is The Difference Between Condo Insurance And Renters Insurance?

The difference between renters and condo insurance is actually pretty simple. Because people who own a condo actually own the apartment space they need more coverage. A person who is renting can only get insurance coverage for the belongings inside of the apartment or liability of someone getting injured in their apartment. Since they don’t actually own the apartment in any way, they do not need coverage for the interior walls. Condo insurance only exists because there is a difference in ownership.

What Does Condo Insurance Cover?

As described above, it depends on the type of condo insurance. So what is covered by condo insurance? When you purchase condominium insurance coverage (as an owner of the interior of the condo) you are providing protection for almost everything within the walls of your condo. Everything from the interior walls to the items in your apartment. Everything from the exterior walls to your front porch are covered by a masters condo policy.

Do I Need Condo Insurance?

Almost all condominium associations require you to insure your condo. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania doesn’t require condo insurance but we highly recommend it. You should have condo insurance to protect you, your belongings, your condo and potential liabilities you can come across as a condo owner.

Get Condo Insurance From Strickler Insurance

Strickler Insurance is located in Lebanon Pennsylvania. Get your Condo insurance in Lebanon PA, Pennsylvania or one of the locations we serve. At Strickler we hope to provide the best Condo insurance. We provide Condo coverage in New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. Contact us today for a free Condo insurance quote!

Condo Insurance - High Rise Condo in Blue Sky

Get Started Today

As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right Condo Insurance coverage.

Get a Quote

  Condo Insurance Quote Request

As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right coverage.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Get a Quote

It only takes a minute to get started.

  • Fill out the form, we’ll be in touch.
  • Review options with an agent.
  • Get the coverage you need.

Would you rather discuss this in person? Get in touch with an agent today!