Covering the ABCs and 123s.
School insurance provided by Strickler Insurance.
Schools are so much more than a collection of buildings. Schools are a cornerstone of the community. From the history of it being your community’s alma mater to it being where their children attend. From community events to sports teams and programs your school is so important. Protecting your educational institution from liability claims and costly financial damages that it can sustain is so important.
Get School Insurance From Strickler Insurance
Public or private, charter or online, college or k-12, you can get insurance for your school through us. Strickler Insurance has insurance agent specialists that are dedicated to finding the best school insurance our carriers can provide. From learning your specific schools need to provide advice on additional risks that need protection.
Typical School Insurance Coverage
Schools typically need insurance that covers specific liabilities. Some schools are in need of more coverage or a wider range of coverage. Below are a few suggested common types of insurance coverage a lot of schools get through us. If you want to know the exact coverages your school needs, contact us today!
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance
- Educators Professional Liability
- Cyber Liability
- Abuse and Molestation
- Errors and Omissions
- Among many more depicted below…
Click it. Read it. Cover it.
- Click on the hotspots.
- Discover your risks.
- Get the right coverage.
What would you do if a fire impacted the operation of your school? Or what if a pipe bursting caused a system outage? These and other events can destroy your ability to teach or hold class, and may require an alternative location. Public, private, and charter schools need protection not only to the building facility and property within the school, but also the business of running the school.
It is critical you protect the school with business income and extra expense coverage to ensure your school facility and the things you use to operate your school can be put back into place quickly or in an alternate location. Business income insurance also helps cover the loss of income when you cannot run the school because of covered property damage.
Business Personal Property
Fire, weather, burst pipes, and other losses are frequent for schools given the large amount of physical space required to operate. These losses can cause significant damage to the school’s business personal property.
Business personal property coverage allows the school to replace property that has been damaged or destroyed by a covered cause of a loss. For a school, this may include property like desks, chairs, tables, books, materials, and supplies.
Is your school subject to wind, rain, hailstorms, hurricanes, blizzards, or other weather events? These situations can cause significant damage to a school building or roof, not to mention the dangers that lurk within like a burst pipe or cafeteria grease fire.
Building coverage protects the permanent school structure from most weather perils, burst pipes, a fire, and other losses.
A visitor walking into the school slips and falls, a teacher or employee causes damage to a student’s property, and even certain claims of slander all pose a real risk to your school.
General liability insurance is a necessity for any business. It provides broad coverage when you are deemed liable and will pay to defend lawsuits alleging injuries or property damage which occurred as the result of your school operations.
Abuse and Molestation
There are hundreds of reports each year of children being sexually abused by teachers, coaches, and volunteers. Countless more are abused without any report being made.
Obtain the proper abuse and molestation coverage to protect the school in the event an allegation arises. In addition, consider having a written document to address how to prevent sexual abuse from happening and what to do in the event of an allegation.
Business Auto Liability
School volunteers and employees often use personal vehicles to do work for the school.
Make sure to add hired and non-owned auto coverage to the school’s insurance policy to cover this exposure. Also, check the motor vehicle records of anyone who transports students.
Educator’s Legal Liability
Officers, directors, and board members are exposed to increased factors and can be held accountable for acts that claim negligence in the performance of their duties including discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination of employees, inefficient administration or supervision, waste of assets, misleading reports, and other misrepresentations.
Educator’s legal liability insurance protects the decision-makers of the school from lawsuits and claims. Instead of suing the individuals directly, the lawsuit would be defended by the school’s ELL policy. Most people who serve on a board in a volunteer capacity should demand this coverage before serving.
The internet has spun a whole new web of liability exposures. E-commerce, social networking, cloud storage, and other technologies bring great benefits to all businesses. But with these benefits also come challenges, including protection of privacy, data, and financial information of your employees and students.
Cyber liability coverage covers unauthorized access to electronic data or software within your network. It also provides coverage for spreading a virus, computer theft, extortion, or any unintentional act, mistake, error, or omission made by an employee. This coverage is quickly becoming more and more important as you embrace technology to help run your school.
If one of your employees receives an injury or becomes ill due to a work-related occurrence, you are required by law to have the proper coverage in place.
State disability and workers' compensation protects your employees should a job-related injury or sickness occur during their course of employment. This coverage is required by law, so be sure you have it.
What happens when your school faces a large liability loss that exceeds the basic limit of your standard policy?
A commercial umbrella policy provides high limits of insurance, typically between $2,000,000 and $10,000,000. Coverage is extended over your general liability insurance, workers' compensation, business auto, and directors and officer’s liability coverage. It provides a great safety net and helps ensure your school is well protected.
Security in schools is becoming a larger issue as attacks have increased in recent years.
Every school should have a security plan. This plan should detail where students go in the event of an emergency, which entrances are open during school hours, who should contact the authorities, how to spot someone who may pose a security risk and how to react to someone who is trying to cause harm to the students and faculty.
Crime / Employee Dishonesty
School fundraisers may raise a large amount of cash, or a number of administrators/teachers may have access to a school credit card/account numbers.
Crime coverage can provide coverage against cash stolen on or off the premises, and can ensure that the groups within the school raising the money aren’t left in the dark if a cash box goes missing. Employee dishonesty coverage can help protect against a staff member’s scheme to steal money from the school or district.
Violent acts by students are, thankfully, infrequent on the whole, but they do happen. Violent acts are often excluded in one’s general liability policy. If not dealt with promptly, these can affect the school’s reputation and, if a private school, the bottom line.
Crisis response coverage can provide reimbursement for services like crisis management, public relations guidance, and counseling services to help staff, students, and families grieve.
Common Insurance For Schools And Businesses
- School Business Owners Policy (BOP): Getting a business owner’s policy for an educational institution might sound strange, but we have found many smaller schools benefit from BOP coverage. It is essentially a bundle of insurance coverages designed to protect multiple aspects of your school. A BOP is essentially a combination of liability insurance and property insurance all in one policy. Bundling your school’s insurance usually makes it more affordable.
- School General Liability Insurance: Liability insurance for an educational institution is so important to have. Protecting yourself from lawsuits or liability your school might sustain. Not having liability insurance could result in your business being forced to close.
- School Workers’ Compensation Insurance: Having workers’ compensation for your teachers is so important. Not only is it required by the state that you have workers’ compensation for your educational institution but it also helps save you money. By having workmans’ comp you are more likely to retain employees.
- School Business Crime Insurance: When running an educational institution you know there is potential for theft to occur. Having crime insurance for your school will protect you, your school, and many of your assets.
- School Cyber Liability Insurance: Cyber liability insurance is needed by every school! You know the risks of digital data being stolen, and your school is extremely likely to be targeted due to grading and personal information that students might seek to steal or change. Think about any aspect of your educational institution business that is present online. Imagine if any of that information or data were stolen or destroyed. Lacking cybersecurity has the potential to not only damage your business and reputation but to fully close your educational institution doors.
- School Property Insurance: Having property insurance for your educational institution will protect your organization’s assets and investments. Be prepared for fire, flooding, theft, or accidental damages that can occur on your school’s property.
- School Umbrella Insurance: Having umbrella insurance for your educational institution is such an effective way to protect your business. Umbrella insurance takes all of your existing educational institution insurance and increases its effectiveness with additional payout coverage.
- School Commercial Auto Insurance: Another insurance you will need is commercial auto for your school. From groundskeeper vehicles to the band’s van or bus. Vehicles are one of your largest investments, make sure you protect them.
School Employee Benefits
- School Health Benefits: Get group health insurance for your teachers and school employees. Keeping teachers at your school can be difficult, but by offering health insurance you can increase employee retainment and health for your whole organization.
- School Vision Benefits: Get vision benefits for your teachers and school employees. Not every school offers group vision insurance, especially not every educational institution. This benefit will help your employees see how much you care about them and their vision.
- School Dental Benefits: Get group dental insurance for your teachers and school employees. Providing dental benefits makes your business stand out to potential employees.
Do I Need School Insurance?
Most schools are typically required by their state to carry insurance. This includes private schools and charter schools. General liability insurance is the minimum insurance coverage most schools carry. You should consider the risks of injuries occurring on your property, the cost of replacing your school’s computers, or the financial cost of replacing your building in the event of a fire.
Pennsylvania School Insurance
Strickler insurance provides insurance in Pennsylvania and is located in central PA. Our coverage is designed for your school. Being located in Pennsylvania we know specific requirements by the Pennsylvania Government and can help advise with our years of experience and knowledge. Contact us for PA school insurance.
How Much Does School Insurance Cost
The cost of your school’s insurance is dependent on what is being covered and for how much. A smaller school will have cheaper insurance premiums than a multi campus university. Getting the bare minimum insurance, which is not recommended, will be way cheaper then getting your school the appropriate coverage needed.
Get School Insurance From Strickler Insurance
Strickler Insurance is located in Lebanon Pennsylvania. Get your educational institution insurance in Lebanon PA, Pennsylvania or one of our neighboring states. At Strickler we hope to provide the best educational institution insurance. We provide educational institution coverage in New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. Contact us today for a free educational institution insurance quote!
Get Started Today
As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right School Insurance coverage.
School Insurance Quote Request
As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right coverage.
Get a Quote
It only takes a minute to get started.
- Fill out the form, we’ll be in touch.
- Review options with an agent.
- Get the coverage you need.